I thank Almighty Allah who made us one of the pioneers involved in charity work.
Chairman of Board of Directors of Direct Aid Society, Dr. Abdul Rahman Saleh Al-Muhailan announced about the winning of the Society with the second position throughout the Arab countries during the competition of the magazine «Forbes Middle East» in which 61 Arab charity out of 2050 in the list of «the most transparent charities in the Arab world» have participated and this competition has been organized for the second consecutive year.
He stressed that the winning of Society by the second position is a pride for employees of the Society, and is a pride for the State of Kuwait and its good people. He added: our winning has been achieved because of the transparency of the Society in its dealings and in its accounts at the level of charities in the Arab world, and this is what we have been accustomed on by our ideal in this regard, Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sumait. We ask Allah for keeping his health and wellness and his recovery from his illness and to support us in this great work.
Al-Muhailan argued that the main reasons for winning of the Society with the second position is the existence of an accredited observer to the accounts of the Society, in addition that the Society supplies the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour with full data and printing its budget on an annual basis, and distributing them to members of the general meeting at their annual meeting who are the leading men of Kuwait where they know where the donor funds are spent and how they are spent in detail, with the participation of representatives from the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour at the general meeting (AGM) which periodically makes sure that all receipts of the Society are stamped by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour. Also, the general meeting is attended by the external auditor of one of the accredited offices.
In his speech to «Alwatan», he stressed that this institutional work is not fortuitous, but the work has been conducted yearly since the establishment of the Society three decades ago and its work grows year after year. The Society aims at achieving its objectives, including the development of human resources in the increase of the budget of education from 2% to 12% until it reached 15% through building of three universities, including two universities which have been actually built and the third is under the process of implementation, and a number of 200 schools and this reflects its interest in education.
He referred to the fact that the ceremony was held at The Meydan Hotel, Dubai and was attended by a large number of officials and representatives of Arab charities, and senior executives interested in supporting the charitable sector and humanitarian work organized and based on transparency, where the President of the Board of Directors of Dar Al-Arab Publishing House Dr. Nasser Al-Tayyar, accompanied by Dr. Hamad Al Shaibani, Director of the Department of Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities Department to hand over prizes to the Societys which came in the first 10 centers. The following are details of the meeting:
– First, we would like to know from you about the competition of Forbes Middle East and your participation in it?
– When we talk about the competition of Forbes Middle East, we send tribute and homage to all who contributed in activating the role of this blessed award that stimulates the motivation in charitable work and activates and diversifies its fields, and spreads the culture of the laudable jealousy, and the fair competition among charities that are varied in their activities, and which meet at their goals in terms of the service of man and helping him to overcome the setbacks of time. The competition is a standard assuring the transparency of charities. «Forbes Middle East» to which 61 Arab charities out of the 2050 Arab Societies participated is in the list of «the most transparent charities in the Arab world». This competition has been organized for the second consecutive year.
Audited Financial Reports
– What standards and principles upon which «Forbes» is based in the collection of information and data?
– The team at Forbes depended on several things, the most prominent of which are the lists of the registered and approved non-profit charities so as to ensure the legitimacy of their transactions and to be consistent with the laws in force in their countries. Also, the team of Forbes asked for audited financial reports for every Society of the Societies participating in the festival last year 2011. Thanks to Allah, our Society has achieved the second position. That was because of the grace of Allah Almighty as transparency is a feature of our work in Direct Aid.
The survey included 19 Arab countries including 11 countries which were present in the list (Saudi Arabia, Palestine, Jordan, UAE, Lebanon, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Sudan, Tunisia and Egypt).
Actual Institutional Work
– We congratulate you for your winning and why did you receive the second position?
– The reasons for winning are many. For example, first, Almighty Allah’s help for this effort, then the efforts of the former people who have contributed in transforming philanthropy of individual work to the actual institutional work. This work was not transformed in overnight from the work of an individual to take the feature of the institutional work but this required considerable efforts and uniting and convergence of ideas and opinions. The opinions met and working started to take the institutional feature and it began to expand and grow and spread here and there.
The winning of Direct Aid with the second position is a pride for all of us as members of this Society and it is a pride for the State of Kuwait. Our winning was a result of what the Society is characterized by of transparency in its dealings, and in its accounts at the level of charities in the Arab world. This is what our Sheikh Dr. Abdul Rahman Al-Sumait accustomed us on and we ask Allah for him to give him health and wellness and recover him of his illness to support us in this great work.
One of the reasons for the success is putting the achievable strategic plans. These plans have great benefits as they serve as a compass which shows where we are heading and where we reached. This makes us address the weaknesses points and invest the positions of power, and work on their development. Also, the most important thing is clarity and transparency in working with those who do well, and this creates a strong connection between the donor and the institution with which it deals, in addition to the exploitation of technology and means of developed communication in the implementation and follow-up and monitoring projects.
This is in addition to the periodic and continuous field visits which are the most prominent reasons for the success of overseas projects. Furthermore, there is putting for outstanding financial programs that are consistent with the technological development in which we live now. When you need to request a report, you can get it easily if you are using the easy accessible modern programs. These are the basics through which any charity can achieve success in its work.
When you need to request a report, you can accomplish this easily if you are using an easy and modern program. These are the basics through which any charity can achieve success in its work.
This institutional work is not fortuitous but that is a yearly work since the establishment of the Society three decades ago and its work grows year after year, where it spent on the African continent more than a billion dollars and the Society aims to achieve its objectives, including the development of human resources in the budget for education from 2% to 12% until reaching 15% by building three universities where two of them are built virtually and the third is under the implementation phase. Also, it built 200 schools. Those who are responsible for the board of directors are trying to develop the Society in which 170 employees work in inside Kuwait and 4500 employees work in 128 countries. We have many international conventions them like those with the Republic of Tunisia, and others that we seek to achieve with the Kingdom of Morocco. We have a great institutional work in the Republic of Yemen.
Area of Charity
> What about the conditions set by Forbes for the Societies that are involved in the competition?
– Forbes put several conditions which must be met in the Society to enter this area of charity. One example of these conditions is that the total revenue of the Society must be more than 300 thousand dollars and that the Society must be authorized by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour in its country, and it must have an authorized financial auditing firm. I say that Forbes has focused its bulk attention on the total income of the Society in 2011 and the total general spending for 2011. Thanks to Allah, the Direct Aid achieved the second position in this great contest.
Kuwait Flag Is Flying High
– Tell us about the celebration and its events?
– The celebration was held in The Meydan Hotel, Dubai and was attended by a number of officials and representatives of Arab charities and senior executives interested in supporting the charitable sector and humanitarian work organized and based on transparency where the President of Board of Directors of Dar Arab Publishing House Dr. Nasser Al-Tayyar, accompanied by Dr. Hamad Al Shaibani, Director of the Department of Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities handed over prizes to the Societies which have been at the top of the first 10 positions. The flag of Kuwait rose high-flying. The first position was for our brothers in the Society of Social Reform and Direct Aid ranked second position then the Society of Abdullah Nouri ranked the eighth position and this confirms that Kuwait has transparency in charitable work. Allah saves Kuwait and maintains it with the goodness and security and safety with other Muslim countries.
Finally, what would you like to say?
– I thank Almighty Allah who made us one of the pioneers involved in charity work who work on communication between people of the charity and the people who are needy. Also, I appreciate the efforts of charitable people in Kuwait who support the Society. Allah rewards those charitable people and maintained their well-being and security and safety and I invite them to support the many projects of the Society that aim to serve the humanity and human development.
D. Abdul Rahman Al-Muhailan: Winning of «Direct Aid» is a medal of pride we offer as a gift for all the people in Kuwait
I thank Almighty Allah who made us one of the pioneers involved in charity work.